In honor of Worldwide Day of Giving, June 15th, we are highlighting some of the many amazing nonprofit organizations in our community. Perhaps you’ll consider connecting with one of these groups and including them in your upcoming giving opportunities!
Hera Hub Carlsbad
- Dana Bristol-Smith – Leap to Success – Founder of Leap to Success, a women’s empowerment organization that provides professional growth and development programs at NO COST to women who are rebuilding their lives from domestic violence, homelessness and other major life challenges.
- Julia Fister – Studio Ace – Executive director of Studio Ace, a non profit organization dedicated to enriching lives through Arts, Community and Education. Julia developed the Education Program at Oceanside Museum of Art (OMA) from two programs to a thriving well-rounded museum department for both children and adults
- Holly Herring – Duwara Consciousness Foundation – Holly is an activist, public speaker, Homeless Outreach Worker, and Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Crisis Intervention Counselor. She serves as the Community Programs Developer for the Duwara Consciousness Foundation, providing accessible and nutritious vegetarian food and hygiene services (showers and laundry) to those in need through mobile trailers.
- Julia Peterson – Cosmos Helping Cosmos – Founder of Cosmos Helping Cosmos, a nonprofit that supports beauty industry professionals in need. Her original goal was to financially help cosmetologists and hair salon workers survive the economic uncertainty of the COVID-19 pandemic. As a longtime hair stylist and single mother, Julia was painfully aware of how the shutdowns were affecting others in her industry.
- Joan Brackin – Someday is Now – Founder of the Someday Is Now Global Social Movement, Joan created an organization that is dedicated to helping inspired people achieve their dreams. Joan is a staunch supporter of living life uncontained and believes everybody should experience the joy, pride, and soul-level satisfaction of accomplishing their cherished dream.
Hera Hub DC
- Cathy Robertson – DC Peers – founded DC Peers with her daughter Sophie in 2016. This work engages everything she has learned in 25 years as an educator, researcher, writer, consultant, and parent of an autistic young adult.
- Lisa Savitt – A Child for All – ACFA provides Mali’s vulnerable children a safe and loving environment, which fosters their health, learning, happiness, and success.
- Hank Dearden – ForestPlanet – Executive Director of ForestPlanet, Inc., an organization that supports large scale reforestation projects all around the world. We help plant trees in regions where they have the greatest positive impact on the soil, the environment and communities in peril.
Hera Hub Temecula
- Keisha Montfleury – CEO of a California 501 C 3 non profit Abundantly Authentic and the owner of an organization called HandiWork LLC: both organizations’ responsibilities are to encourage a generation that is armed with the tools, knowledge, and resources to thrive as individuals.
- Kristen Newsom – My Sister’s Keeper Success Institute, Inc. – Founder and Executive Director of My Sister’s Keeper Success Institute, Inc. Her mission is to create and sustain a mentoring eco-system of women that leverages the experiences of generations of women that are presently active in nontraditional career paths with the generations of women that are rising.
- Robin McCoy – Women Organizing Women, Inc. – acts as the visionary, and co-founder on behalf of Women Organizing Women, Inc, a national consortium of women working together in projects that help people most in need, and projects that build and improve a community. Since 2012, Robin’s role has become more defined as a Social Entrepreneur expanding to the west coast functioning as Executive Director of the Temecula, CA chapter of Women Organizing Women, Inc.
Hera Hub Sorrento Valley
- Amy Abrams – Alzheimer’s San Diego – Passionate community health educator, social worker, and advocate for older adults and persons with disabilities. She serves as the Director of Education at Alzheimer’s San Diego, a local non-profit organization whose mission is to provide care and support for families in San Diego County today, while helping to advance research for a cure tomorrow
- Arts Bus Xpress – Underwrites field trip transportation, the “missing link,” that connects San Diego city and county school children with arts and sciences experiences. The program serves 498,000 children in 42 school districts and 646 schools in San Diego County.
- Deanna Mackey – Public Media Women in Leadership – The Public Media Women in Leadership group was co-founded in January 2015 by public media veterans Deanna Martin Mackey and Jeannie Ericson. The purpose of the group is threefold: establish a mentorship program to better prepare women with potential to become future CEOs/COOs in the system; create a community via Facebook and webinars/trainings to encourage conversation and sharing about issues related to women in leadership; and create awareness in the public media industry about the critical need to diversify station leadership.
- Rita Albert – ConnectMed – Improving access to sustainable healthcare in resource-limited communities through education, partnerships, and research Founded in 2010 by Dr. Amanda Gosman, Chief of Plastic Surgery at the University of California, San Diego and Rady Children’s Hospital. ConnectMed proudly stands apart from traditional medical mission organizations because we support patient care and strengthen local healthcare systems using related approaches: Mutually beneficial educational and research opportunities; – Team care through partnerships with local providers; Telemedicine and other resources that local providers identify as essential for sustainability.
- Jenny Lim – MusicPower – Director of Giving at Music Power which offers financial and analytical support to organizations and individuals using music as a tool for solving societal problems, boosting happiness levels, and empowering young and older people and conducting intensive research to identify those seeking to make this level of exceptionally positive impact through music
Hera Hub Mission Valley
- Dominique Molina – The American Institute of Certified Tax Planners – Co-founder and President of the American Institute of Certified Tax Planners. As the driving force and visionary behind the San Diego-based company, Molina set out to change the way tax professionals approach tax planning. In 2009, Molina began to create an elite network of tax professionals including CPAs, EAs, attorneys and financial service providers who are trained to help their clients proactively plan and implement tax strategies that can rescue thousands of dollars in wasted tax.