Ms. Gayani Weerasinghe is a business law and intellectual property (IP) attorney with both law firm experience and in-house experience. Her practice focus on helping start-ups and entrepreneurs with their business ventures, including helping them create their business partnerships, entities, contracts, confidentiality agreements, strategic alliance agreements, licenses, and procure trademarks, copyrights, and patents.
Before becoming a patent attorney, Ms. Weerasinghe was actively involved in biomedical research with the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD, investigating diabetes, stem cells, and neuroinflammation. Ms. Weerasinghe has published twelve peer-reviewed articles on cell signaling processes related to diabetes, inflammatory response related to Alzheimer’s disease and Bipolar Disorder, and developmental cancer.
You may want to ask Gayani questions related to:
- What type of contracts do you need for your business dealings? Do you need a confidentiality agreement, consulting agreement, strategic alliance agreement, or something else?
- What is the difference between a corporation, LLC, or S Corp?
- What is a general partnership and how does that personally affect you?
- What is the difference between a patent, a trademark, a trade secret, and copyright?
- When do you need to file a patent? Do you have an invention or is it just an idea?