Anna DePalma, who is currently playing on the Cactus Tour and will be going to LPGA Q School
2. It’s too late for me to learn a sport like golf. Everyone out on the golf course is really good and has grown up playing the game.
“We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face… we must do that which we think we cannot.” (E. Roosevelt)
Overcoming my fear of golf has been such a confidence booster for me. And I hear this all the time from other women who have taken up the sport as adults. And guess what? There are more “hackers” out on the golf course than they care to admit. So let’s celebrate all those missed shots, bad putts,… It’s all part of the grand scheme of the game!
3. Golf is a boring game.
“You can often change your circumstances by changing your attitude.”
Golf is such a head game: I think that’s one of the things that I find fascinating. No matter how often you work on your putting, chipping, and drives, if you overthink it, chances are your swing will not work. So relax, take a practice swing and go for it! You might be surprised on the outcome.
4. Women have to dress like men in order to be accepted on the golf course.
Okay, this is my bias and the origin of my business idea. I wanted clothing for the golf course that was stylish, comfortable and easy care. I couldn’t find anything to my liking so Vivacity Sportswear was born.
Last year when I was in Washington D.C., I stopped by the Smithsonian and saw this exhibit of clothing from all the First Ladies. What caught my eye was Eleanor Roosevelt’s display which described how she was at the forefront of “ready to wear” fashion. She traveled all the time and preferred clothing pieces that were easy care and easy to coordinate. Doesn’t that apply to women today? And why can’t that apply to the golf course or any other venue we find ourselves in?
So please do give golf a try. There are some great local organizations and wonderful female golf professionals in San Diego with whom I have had the privilege to work. A short list of those resources includes:
• Ashley Wood Golf
• Heidi Richardson Golf www.heidirichardsongolf.com
• High Heel Golfers highheelgolfer.com
• San Diego Women’s Golf Association sdcwga.net
• Executive Women Golf Association (EWGA) www.lpgaamateurs.com
• Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) www.lpga.com
• San Diego Junior Golf Association www.sdjga.org
• Pro Kids/First Tee of San Diego www.thefirstteesandiego.org
• Southern California Golf Association www.scga.org
• Southern California Professional Golf Association www.scpga.com
Let’s celebrate golf for girls and women!
Vivian Sayward is the Founder of Vivacity Sportswear®, a San Diego-based producer of women’s activewear featuring performance fabrics, Swarovski® crystals and the finest craftsmanship from Southern California designers, pattern makers, cutters and sewers. The collection combines sport with haute couture; head-turning silhouettes with everyday comfort; and refined detailing with wicking, anti-microbial fabrics. Every piece is handcrafted in San Diego, and designed to comfortably go from course to office to cocktails.