Julie Ryan is an experienced business lawyer with a practice both in the DMV and California, specializing in advising entrepreneurs, start-ups, and small- to mid-sized companies on strategic business transactions, including entity formation and structuring, early stage and venture capital financing, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, commercial transactions, securities laws, and general corporate advice.
Over the past two decades, Julie has helped a broad range of clients achieve their goals and grow and sell their businesses. She is an advocate for the advancement of women in law and business and regularly mentors young female attorneys and entrepreneurs. She is also a recognized expert, educator, author, and frequent presenter on various topics, including cross-cultural communication, problem-solving, and business and securities laws. Julie graduated summa cum laude with a BA in communication from Colorado State University, and earned her law degree from Georgetown Law.
Some of Julie’s recent articles, activities, and presentations include:
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown Law (teaching a course on communication and problem-solving skills for deal lawyers).
Head of Experiential Learning/Advisor at AltaClaro, a start-up online continuing legal education platform.
- Startup Law 101: Negotiating to “Yes,” Virtual Event hosted by ChIPs Advancing Women and sponsored by Halcyon House, October 7, 2020 (presenter).
- “Silicon Beach Jeopardy: 6 Essential Areas for In-House Counsel to Consider When Managing Venture Capital or M&A Transactions in Technology and Other Industries,” CLE Presentation, Namwolf Annual Meeting (presenter).
- Transactional Lawyering: An Experiential Approach to Communication & Problem-Solving (Carolina Academic Press).
You may want to ask Julie questions related to:
- What steps do I need to take to start my business?
- What are the key issues I should be thinking about as a young company?
- How do I hire employees, independent contractors, and subcontractors?
- How should I negotiate a proposed acquisition of my business?
- How much equity should I be prepared to give away to service providers/early-stage investors?
Please email Julie to book a time on her schedule.