Guest blog written by Mission Valley Hera Hub member Clea Shannon, founder of Live Inspired Today.
The holiday season is upon us and from here on out our weeks will be filled with fabulous events, company parties, celebrations and gatherings. While “the most wonderful time of the year” may present us with loads of reasons to celebrate, it also provides us with plenty of reasons to get side-tracked from our goals. I am often asked by my clients how I celebrate and still maintain my focus on my health and business goals.
In years past we might call December a wash – we might simply give up and promise to start again fresh in the New Year. I’d like to support you in making this year different. Let’s commit to finish strong and make this our Healthiest, Most Abundant Holiday Season yet!
These Live Inspired Today Tips help me and my clients to ENJOY the holidays and to keep our health and business goals on track. Using these 12 simple tips we improve our energy, our mood and our performance, insuring that we make the most of one of our greatest assets – our health! Are you ready to feel satisfied, happy and healthy this season?
Finish Strong – 12 Tips for Our Healthiest, Most Abundant Holiday Season
1. Get Clear- Keep our goals front-and-center. Set a reminder on our phone, hang a photo on our mirror or create a vision board for our desk as daily reminders of what we’re working towards. Whether we’re aiming for healthy changes in our body, improved quality of life or significant business milestones – it’s much easier to stay on track when we’re crystal clear on our desired results!
2. Fill Our Well – Schedule in our self-care as we would any other appointment. When we prioritize and schedule our self-care it’s more likely to happen. I book an appointment for myself, whether it’s yoga, a walk, or alone time, on a regular basis because when I take care of myself I have more resources to share with my business, my family and everything important to me.
3. Shift Our Focus- Let’s lavish ourselves with friends and community instead of with food! When we are not feeling satisfied in our relationships, career and other aspects of our lives, we often turn to food to feel complete. Sound familiar? I definitely used to find myself in this pattern during the holidays. This can be an especially challenging time of year and it’s important to find resources to support us on our path to health and abundance. I often used to go to events thinking “yummy! What food will be there?” Now, while I do enjoy a bit of food, I let my focus be on “which of my friends and family will be there!”
4. Create Space – Take charge of our time and schedule even 15 minutes between commitments. As our calendar fills up this season, remember to make time to pause between activities and appointments. When we give ourselves this space we create a sense of calm and reduce the feelings of stress and rush that can be associated with the holiday season. Got a minute? Use this simple breath meditation to create an instant calm. Breathe in for a count of 5. Breathe out for a count of 10. Repeat 5 times.
5. Ask for Help – Delegate tasks to share responsibility and let go of the unnecessary. Whether we are planning a holiday event or making a feast for our own family, take some of the responsibility off ourselves by recruiting the help of others. Not only will this asking benefit us, but it also creates an opportunity to spend time with and include others.
6. Stay On Schedule – Make a commitment to stick to your daily routine as much as possible, from meals to workouts to bedtimes. With the busy-ness of this season and holiday travel it’s easy to lose our sense of routine. When we give ourselves the anchor of our daily rituals, we help to keep ourselves on course. A good night’s sleep can do wonders for our attitude, our energy and our appetite.
7. Lighten Up – When we fuel our body with nutrient-rich foods, we improve the way we look, feel and perform. Upgrade a traditional holiday dish with a lighter, healthier choice. Our collection of 33 Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ holiday recipes offers loads of great, simply delicious ideas perfect for any feast. Start every feast with fresh raw veggies, a salad or add in a sautéed dark leafy green to any dish to increase our nutrients and satisfy our hunger in a lighter, healthier way.
8. Connect More – Schedule time with friends and family for a walk, yoga, holiday movie, game or a craft. Gatherings do not always need to be centered on food! Include these activities during your feast to encourage interaction and to help balance out the festivities.
9. Get Moving – Build exercise into our holiday rituals. Our family enjoys a long walk. Some families enjoy a run for a cause. Others make a trip to dog park, the beach or schedule a pick-up game. It’s important to find what works for us and make time for something physical! Make sure to schedule movement during our day, just as we would any other important activity.
10. Drink Up – This one simple step can improve our digestion, skin and mood! Keep a water bottle handy and hydrate throughout the day and between meals. Cheers? When we decide before the event how much alcohol we’d like to consume we’re much less likely to over indulge. Plan on one or maybe two drinks and savor each one!
11. Recommit to Success– It’s true, even as a nutritionist by trade, I have good days and I have not-so-great days. We all have times when things don’t go as planned, or we make less-than-the-best choices. When setbacks happen, take them as an opportunity to recommit to our goals rather than a sign of failure. Keep believing and don’t let one choice, one party or an off day sabotage our long-term goals.
12. Recruit a Buddy – Find an accountability partner. Whether it’s a friend, family member or a Health Coach like me, staying on course is much easier with someone by our side.
What will be your greatest ACHIEVEMENT this holiday season? What will be your biggest CHALLENGE? What daily ritual helps you to Live Inspired Today and every day?
I’d love to hear how you’re making this the healthiest, most abundant holiday season yet! I invite you to share your feedback, comments and questions in the comments below. Community, support and accountability make this journey so much more enjoyable!
Here’s wishing you and yours a Healthy, Happy & Abundant Holiday Season!
In Health & Gratitude,
Clea Shannon is a Board Certified Wellness Coach (AADP), Founder of Live Inspired Today, a web-based wellness company and the creator of Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ recipes and life-changing wellness advice on her award-winning blog http://www.cleashannon.com/blog/. In 2012 Clea received the prestigious Health Leadership Award. Clea specializes in designing a Personalized Wellness Program tailored to your specifics needs to support positive changes in your body, mind and spirit and to resolve chronic health issues. Instead of quick fixes, Clea offers clients a wellness lifestyle based on her customized blend of adaptive fitness, functional nutrition and inspirational leadership. By establishing daily rituals and providing step-by-step instructions for Hip, Simple, Fabulous™ meals, Clea successfully creates an achievable lifestyle in which ANYONE can Live Inspired Today and every day. Learn more about Clea and her unique approach to supporting you to achieve your goals. Visit www.cleashannon.com.